First printed view of Prague, Czech Republic, by Hartmann Schedel from the Latin edition of the “Liber chronicarum” published in 1493. The woodcut is quiet realistic and we can easily recognize the key features of Charles Bridge, Vitus Cathedral, Lesser Town and Old Town as seen from the Vyšehrad Castle location from which the view is drawn. Seven woodblock engravings present on verso, including the comet of 1351, locusts, several portraits and religious leaders, and villagers being burned alive.
The Nuremberg Chronicles was the first printed history of the known world with about 2000 woodcuts the most picturesque work of the early time of printing. It became one of the most popular books of the 15th. century. The woodblock cutters were Michael Wolgemut, teacher of Albrecht Dürer and his stepson Wilhelm Pleydenwurff.
The printing was carried out under the supervision of the great scholar-printer Anton Koberger.
FAQ - Guarantee - Shipping
To buy in the sale you must register with us. It is free, and we automatically update you about future auctions.
During the Buy-or-Bid sale you can buy or make an offer on 1500 - 2000 antique maps, town views, old master prints, decorative prints, atlases, posters and Medieval manuscripts.
- Items will be listed for 7 days. In the first day of the sale, users are only able to add items to their "My Buy or Bid" page".
- Starting at 4.00 PM EAST (Amsterdam 22.00) the following day up to the closing you may purchase an item at the Buy price.
- We show the Buy price and the "Bid & Ask spread" (to define the gap between the buy price and the minimum accepted offer.
- Items are found in the catalog. The item is automatically added to the My Buy-or-Bid Watch List once you pay the Buy price or place a offer.
- Once the Buy price is accepted the sale for this item has closed.
- If you do not wish to pay the Buy price you may also bid/offer lower on any item.
- Items that do not sell at their Buy price will be made available at the highest accepted bid after the close of the sale, exclusively, to the person who made the offer and has then 24 hours the choice to purchase the item at the offered price.
- On top of the hammerprice a European bidder pays a premium of 21,8 % on the first € 30,000 and 12,1% on the excess.
- A buyer outside the European Union pays, on top of the hammer price, a premium of 18 % on the first € 30,000 (or $35,700 ) and 10% on the excess.
- Outbid notifications and zoomable images will be disabled 30 minutes before the sale closing.
- An invoice is available in My Invoice center within 12 hours after the auction close and is send by email.
Please have a look at more details about the Buy-or-Bid sale.
We provide professional descriptions, condition report and HiBCoR rating (based on 40 years experience in the map business)
We fully guarantee the authenticity of items we sell. We provide a certificate of authenticity for each purchased item.
A flat shipping fee of € 25 / $ 30 is added to each shipment within Europe and North America. This covers : International Priority shipping, Packing and Insurance (up to the invoice amount).
Shipments to Asia are $ 40 and rest of the world $50
We charge only one shipping fee when you have been successful on multiple items or when you want to combine gallery and auction purchases.
[ Read More ]
|High-Resolution Digital Image Download|
Paulus Swaen maintains an archive of most of our high-resolution rare maps, prints, posters and medieval manuscript scans. We make them freely available for download and study.
In accordance with the EU Consumer Rights Directive and habitually reside in the European Union you have the right to cancel the contract for the purchase of a lot, without giving any reason.
The cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days from the day after the date on which you or a third party (other than the carrier and indicated by you) acquires, physical possession of the lot. To exercise the right to cancel you must inform Paulus Swaen Europe bv, which is offering to sell the lot either as an agent for the seller or as the owner of the lot, of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.