1) Typus Orbis Terrarum is a splendid double hemisphere world map. Though similar in style to its predecessor by Hondius, it now has California as an island with Terra Australis reduced to a faint, though still massive, shaded coastline. The map is embedded in a strapwork surround that is inset with a compass rose, a planisphere and the four elements.
2) Americae Descriptio shows the peninsular California and includes a curious delineation of the northwest coast of North America, which is separated from Asia by a narrow Fretum Anian with its coastline bisected by an unnamed strait leading to the Northwest Passage. The St. Lawrence River is shown flowing from a small lake in the West, and the Great Lakes are no where to be seen. There is an area of shading in Virginia alluding to the possibility of a Verrazzano type inland sea.
3) Asia, though engraved by Goos, strongly resembles Pieter van den Keere's configuration with Japan on the Teixeira model and the island of Korea, here called Cory. Van den Keere engraved many of the other maps in Jansson's Atlas Minor.
4) Africa Descriptio depicts typical 17th century cartography with the twin lake sources of the Nile, and the Lunae Montes, or Mountains of the Moon, just south of the lakes.
5) Europe Nova Tabula shows the discoveries of Willem Barents in his quest to find a Northeast Passage to Asia.
Reference: Shirley nr.325. America, Burden nr.221. Africa, Betz nr.64. Asia, Yeo nr.21.
FAQ - Guarantee - Shipping
Buying in the Buy-it-Now Gallery
This item is available for immediate purchase when a "Add to Cart" or "Inquire Now" button is shown.
Items are sold in the EU margin scheme and include VAT. Exportation outside of the EU will reduce a 9% VAT from the invoice amount.
Payments are accepted in Euros or US Dollars.
Please have a look for more information about buying in the Buy-It-Now gallery or about bidding at auction.
Many answers are likely to find in the general help section.
Like this item?
Thinking about buying later on?
Or create your virtual collection !
With Wishlist you can collect all Your Favorite maps in one place by simply pressing a button!
When you prefer, you will get a free alert when similar items come available.[ Read More ]
We provide professional descriptions, condition report and HiBCoR rating (based on 40 years experience in the map business)
We fully guarantee the authenticity of items we sell. We provide a certificate of authenticity for each purchased item.
A flat shipping fee of € 25 / $ 30 is added to each shipment within Europe and North America. This covers : International Priority shipping, Packing and Insurance (up to the invoice amount).
Shipments to Asia are $ 40 and rest of the world $50
We charge only one shipping fee when you have been successful on multiple items or when you want to combine gallery and auction purchases.
Read More about invoicing and shipping
|High-Resolution Digital Image Download|
Paulus Swaen maintains an archive of most of our high-resolution rare maps, prints, posters and medieval manuscript scans. We make them freely available for download and study.
Read more about free image download
In accordance with the EU Consumer Rights Directive and habitually reside in the European Union you have the right to cancel the contract for the purchase of a lot, without giving any reason.
The cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days from the day after the date on which you or a third party (other than the carrier and indicated by you) acquires, physical possession of the lot. To exercise the right to cancel you must inform Paulus Swaen Europe bv, which is offering to sell the lot either as an agent for the seller or as the owner of the lot, of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, or e-mail (email@example.com).
To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.