Subscribe to be notified if similar examples become available.
Estimated value: $5000 - $10000
It is unclear why this map was made but not included in the Theatrum. See also Meurer p. 219 and plate 55.
Only 2 other copies are known.
Denucé mentions a 1598D edition (Plantin Museum, sign. A760) which contains this map. The copy described and shown by Meurer (p. 219, Figure 55) has no text on verso, and the same applies to my copies and to Stopp's copy of this map. I noticed a 1588S edition at Reiss Auctions spring 2005 which contained a copy of this map, but with the Spanish text normally given to Ort34. Apparently, it was sold for a limited time as a separate single-sheet map. Also, a copy of the 1613 Dutch edition in the University Library of Amsterdam has the standard text usually found on Ort34.
Number of copies printed: unknown.
The estimated number of loose copies in circulation: only 2 other copies are known.
35.0 a copy of this map exists without the dotted lines indicating province an country borders, most probably a proof state;
35.1 as described.
Guillaume Postel (1510-1581) made a map of France which was printed from two wood blocks in Paris in 1570. This map was an improvement on the Jolivet source, which is the standard map through most editions of the Theatrum (plate Ort34). The present map is a reduced but true copy of Postel's map.
Provenance: This map is from the personal collection of dr. Marcel van den Broecke, author of Ortelius Atlas Maps An Illustrated Guide, and a large number of articles and books related to Abraham Ortelius and his maps.
The map has in lead pencil, by the hand of Marcel van den Broecke, the "vdB Ortnumber" and date of publication. In the top left his price and stocknumber.
Read more about Marcel van den Broecke [+]
Reference: Van den Boecke, 35.1. (not in Koeman); Meurer 135/III.
FAQ - Guarantee - Shipping
To buy or bid in this Buy-or-Bid sale you must register with us. It is free, and we automatically update you about future auctions.
During the Buy-or-Bid sale you can buy or bid on 1500 - 2000 antique, rare maps, town views, old master prints, decorative prints, atlases, posters and Medieval manuscripts.
- Items will be listed for 7 days. In the first day of the sale, users are only able to add items to their "My Buy or Bid" page".
- Starting at 4.00 PM EST (Amsterdam 22.00) the following day up to the closing you may purchase an item at the Buy price.
- Once the Buy price is paid the sale for this item has closed.
- We show the "Bid & Ask spread" (to define the gap between the minimum accepted bid and Buy price.)
- Items that have received bids within the BidAsk spread are sold at the highest bid at closing.
- For bids entered within the BidAsk spread, we use the proxy-bidding process, so you are getting the item at the lowest possible price.
- You may also bid lower than the BidAsk spread, but the seller is not obliged to accept such a bid.
- A buyer outside the European Union pays, on top of the sale price, a premium of 18 % on the first € 30,000 (or $35,700 ) and 10% on the excess.
- A European buyer pays a premium of 21,8 % on the first € 30,000 and 12,1% on the excess.
- Outbid notifications and zoomable images will be disabled 30 minutes before the closing.
- Items are found in the catalog. The item is automatically added to the My Buy-or-Bid Watch List once you pay the Buy price or place a offer.
- An invoice is available in My Invoice center two hours after the closing and is send the next day by email.
Please have a look at more details about the Buy-or-Bid sale.
We provide professional descriptions, condition report and HiBCoR rating (based on 40 years experience in the map business)
We fully guarantee the authenticity of items we sell. We provide a certificate of authenticity for each purchased item.
A flat shipping fee of € $ 30 is added to each shipment within Europe and North America. This covers : International Priority shipping, Packing and Insurance (up to the invoice amount).
Shipments to Asia are $ 40 and rest of the world $50
We charge only one shipping fee when you have been successful on multiple items or when you want to combine gallery and auction purchases.
Read More about invoicing and shipping
|High-Resolution Digital Image Download|
Paulus Swaen maintains an archive of most of our high-resolution rare maps, prints, posters and medieval manuscript scans.
We make them freely available for download and study.
Read more about free image download
Click this image for a free HR-image download.
In accordance with the EU Consumer Rights Directive and habitually reside in the European Union you have the right to cancel the contract for the purchase of a lot, without giving any reason.
The cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days from the day after the date on which you or a third party (other than the carrier and indicated by you) acquires, physical possession of the lot. To exercise the right to cancel you must inform Paulus Swaen Europe bv, which is offering to sell the lot either as an agent for the seller or as the owner of the lot, of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, or e-mail (email@example.com).
To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.