Subscribe to be notified if similar examples become available.
CARTE GENERALE DU MONDE, OU DESCRIPTION DU MONDE TERRESTRE & AQUATIQUE
Estimated value: $350 - $390
Covens & Mortier’s world map drawn on Mercator’s
projection. It depicts California as an island and the Detroit d’Anian
connected by dotted lines through a Northwest Passage to Button’s Bay located
to the west of Hudson Bay.
There is an erroneous large lake shown as the source
for the R. de Nort (Rio Grande River) located in the Southwest, as well as an
early, open-ended version of the Great Lakes named Mer Douce.
A small coastline
of New Zealand appears in the Pacific. The most interesting features of the map are the five
spheres presented along the top depicting day and night, the flood, the phases
of the moon, and the Western and Eastern Hemispheres.
The map was precisely engraved by Jan van Luchenburg (imprint at lower left).
FAQ - Guarantee - Shipping
To buy or bid in this Buy-or-Bid sale you must register with us. It is free, and we automatically update you about future auctions.
During the Buy-or-Bid sale you can buy or bid on 1500 - 2000 antique, rare maps, town views, old master prints, decorative prints, atlases, posters and Medieval manuscripts.
- Items will be listed for 7 days. In the first day of the sale, users are only able to add items to their "My Buy or Bid" page".
- Starting at 4.00 PM EST (Amsterdam 22.00) the following day up to the closing you may purchase an item at the Buy price.
- Once the Buy price is paid the sale for this item has closed.
- We show the "Bid & Ask spread" (to define the gap between the minimum accepted bid and Buy price.)
- Items that have received bids within the BidAsk spread are sold at the highest bid at closing.
- For bids entered within the BidAsk spread, we use the proxy-bidding process, so you are getting the item at the lowest possible price.
- You may also bid lower than the BidAsk spread, but the seller is not obliged to accept such a bid.
- A buyer outside the European Union pays, on top of the sale price, a premium of 18 % on the first € 30,000 (or $35,700 ) and 10% on the excess.
- Outbid notifications and zoomable images will be disabled 30 minutes before the closing.
- Items are found in the catalog. The item is automatically added to the My Buy-or-Bid Watch List once you pay the Buy price or place a offer.
- An invoice is available in My Invoice center two hours after the closing and is send the next day by email.
Please have a look at more details about the Buy-or-Bid sale.
We provide professional descriptions, condition report and HiBCoR rating (based on 45 years experience in the map business)
We fully guarantee the authenticity of items we sell. We provide a certificate of authenticity for each purchased item.
A flat shipping fee of € $ 30 is added to each shipment within Europe and North America. This covers : International Priority shipping, Packing and Insurance (up to the invoice amount).
Shipments to Asia are $ 40 and rest of the world $50
We charge only one shipping fee when you have been successful on multiple items or when you want to combine gallery and auction purchases.
Read More about invoicing and shipping
|High-Resolution Digital Image Download|
Paulus Swaen maintains an archive of most of our high-resolution rare maps, prints, posters and medieval manuscript scans.
We make them freely available for download and study.
Read more about free image download
Paulus Swaen Inc reasonably believes that the Item is not restricted by copyright or related rights, but a conclusive determination could not be made.
You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use.
Paulus Swaen claims no copyright or license governing this digital resource. It is provided for free, on a non-commercial, open-access basis, for fair-use academic and research purposes only.
Paulus Swaen maintains an archive of sold items, including HR images. Go to the archive
In accordance with the EU Consumer Rights Directive and habitually reside in the European Union you have the right to cancel the contract for the purchase of a lot, without giving any reason.
The cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days from the day after the date on which you or a third party (other than the carrier and indicated by you) acquires, physical possession of the lot. To exercise the right to cancel you must inform Paulus Swaen Europe bv, which is offering to sell the lot either as an agent for the seller or as the owner of the lot, of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, or e-mail (email@example.com).
To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.