Connecticut and Parts adjacent at Amsterdam. .
Bidder pays on top of the buy price:
Different states of the map
Romans 1777 map is known in five examples. Thompson identifies two states and surmises from the Covens & Mortier details the existence of an intermediate state between the two referenced below.
First State: John Carter Brown Library. Apparently a proof state. The Lakes, Rivers and Coastlines of Connecticut are represented in a more simple outline fashion, without contour line. However, it should be noted that the rivers are not noted with single lines, the widths of the rivers is unchanged in later states and only contour lines are added within. Westbury is erroneously shown south of Waterbury and Southbury is placed on the east side of the Naugatuck River.
Second State: No known examples, but almost certainly the source for the Covens & Mortier map.
Third State (this map): The Shepard River and the Pomperaug River are
completely reworked north of the Housatonic River. Westbury is now
north of Waterbury and Southbury is now on the east side of the
Naugatuck River. The towns of Goshen and Westchester have been added
(south of Lebanon). Stony Brook in Suffield County and Fresh Water
Brook in Enfield have been added, along with some ponds in East Haven
Reference: Phillips, List of Maps of America, p. 701. Sellers and Van Ee, Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, #1052. Wheat & Brun, Maps and Charts Published in America before 1800, #304. Nebenzahl, Battle Plans, #123.
FAQ - Guarantee - Shipping
To buy in the sale you must register with us. It is free, and we automatically update you about future auctions.
During the Buy-or-Bid sale you can buy or make an offer on 1500 - 2000 antique maps, town views, old master prints, decorative prints, atlases, posters and Medieval manuscripts.
- Items will be listed for 7 days. In the first day of the sale, users are only able to add items to their "My Buy or Bid" page".
- Starting at 4.00 PM EAST (Amsterdam 22.00) the following day up to the closing you may purchase an item at the Buy price.
- We show the Buy price and the "Bid & Ask spread" (to define the gap between the buy price and the minimum accepted offer.
- Items are found in the catalog. The item is automatically added to the My Buy-or-Bid Watch List once you pay the Buy price or place a offer.
- Once the Buy price is accepted the sale for this item has closed.
- If you do not wish to pay the Buy price you may also bid/offer lower on any item.
- Items that do not sell at their Buy price will be made available at the highest accepted bid after the close of the sale, exclusively, to the person who made the offer and has then 24 hours the choice to purchase the item at the offered price.
- On top of the hammerprice a European bidder pays a premium of 21,8 % on the first € 30,000 and 12,1% on the excess.
- A buyer outside the European Union pays, on top of the hammer price, a premium of 18 % on the first € 30,000 (or $35,700 ) and 10% on the excess.
- Outbid notifications and zoomable images will be disabled 30 minutes before the sale closing.
- An invoice is available in My Invoice center within 12 hours after the auction close and is send by email.
Please have a look at more details about the Buy-or-Bid sale.
We provide professional descriptions, condition report and HiBCoR rating (based on 40 years experience in the map business)
We fully guarantee the authenticity of items we sell. We provide a certificate of authenticity for each purchased item.
A flat shipping fee of € 25 / $ 30 is added to each shipment within Europe and North America. This covers : International Priority shipping, Packing and Insurance (up to the invoice amount).
Shipments to Asia are $ 40 and rest of the world $50
We charge only one shipping fee when you have been successful on multiple items or when you want to combine gallery and auction purchases.
[ Read More ]
|High-Resolution Digital Image Download|
Paulus Swaen maintains an archive of most of our high-resolution rare maps, prints, posters and medieval manuscript scans. We make them freely available for download and study.
In accordance with the EU Consumer Rights Directive and habitually reside in the European Union you have the right to cancel the contract for the purchase of a lot, without giving any reason.
The cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days from the day after the date on which you or a third party (other than the carrier and indicated by you) acquires, physical possession of the lot. To exercise the right to cancel you must inform Paulus Swaen Europe bv, which is offering to sell the lot either as an agent for the seller or as the owner of the lot, of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.