Add to my gallery
Like this item?
Thinking about buying later on?
Or just create a virtual collection !
With Wishlist you can collect all
Your Favorite maps in one place
by simply pressing a button!
[ Read More ]
BÜNTING, H. - Asia secunda pars terrae in forma Pegasi. [Asia is presented as the mythical winged horse Pegasus.]
Click here to inquire about this item.
Asia secunda pars terrae in forma Pegasi. [Asia is presented as the mythical winged horse Pegasus.] - BÜNTING, H.
Click image to in.
Title : Asia secunda pars terrae in forma Pegasi. [Asia is presented as the mythical winged horse Pegasus.].
Map maker : BÜNTING, H..
Date : Magdeburg, c. 1581.
Size : 9.8 x 13.8 inches. / 25.0 x 35.0 cm.
Colouring : Uncoloured.
Description :Wood block map of Asia in the form of a Pegasus. The seas are adorned with sea monsters and many major cities are indicated and named. There are several states, of this map.
Bünting's work Itinerarium Sacrae Scriptura.. was essentially a theological commentary with other maps of great curiosity.
The title of this map is Asia Secunda Pars Terrae in Forma Pegasi (’Asia, the Second Part of the Earth, in the Form of Pegasus‘). The winged horse of Greek mythology is the son of Poseidon and Medusa, was tamed by Athena and became the horse of the Muses. This obviously pagan origin of the image makes its appearance in a Holy Land travel book a bit of a mystery.
On this map, Pegasus is drawn realistically – i.e. Asia is adjusted to horse-shape.
- Asia’s front legs, touching Africa with the knees, constitute Arabia.
- Its head, licking Europe, is Asia Minor (present-day Turkey).
- The Tigris and Euphrates rivers run down its neck, on which is marked the area of Mesopotamia.
- Another river indicated, at the horse’s thigh, is the Ganges, with India Infra Gangem (‘India before the Ganges’) to the west and India Extra Gangem (‘India across the Ganges’).
- The horse’s behind is India Orientalis (’East India‘, which could be used for parts east of present-day India, e.g. Indonesia, formerly the Dutch East Indies).
- Both hind legs are inscribed with India Meridionalis (’South India’), which doesn’t at all reflect the single-peninsular nature of the Indian subcontinent.
- The wings are labelled Scythia and Tartaria, names often used to describe the vast unknown areas of Siberia.
- The body of water in between the wings and the horse’s body is the Caspian Sea. ¤
Condition : Paper is age toned. Repair of tear lower part center fold, hardly notable. Else good condition. Latin text on verso.
The item is no longer available for sale.
Click here to see for how much the item sold or the estimated value.
Missed this item? Never miss another item again!
See a list of similar items you might be interested in :
Wish List / Virtual map collection
Found a nice map? But this map has been sold or thinking about buying later on?
With Wishlist you can collect all Your Favorite maps in one place by simply pressing a button!
Click here to ADD this item to your Wish List
Note : This does not replace the BidPage during Auction.
By default we contact you when similar category items come available in future auctions!
Similar items available for immediate sale you might be intered in.
Browse our Archive index of 20,000+ antique maps, prints, Medieval manuscripts. The auction results are available for registered users.
Register now if you haven't done before. It is free of charge !
I have a similar map and would like to sell it.
Paulus Swaen Old Maps, Inc, is buying and selling for the last 36 years fine and rare maps. We are buying for stock or are taking quality consignments for our quarterly internet auctions since 18 years and we are the olderst internet based map auction.
Please email or send us a picture of your map and your asking price.
We need to receive an image first and can not make offers from verbal descriptions received by phone.
I would like to be notified if the item I am looking for comes up for auction.
I'm interested in this map: but it has been sold or you want to be notified when a similar map comes up for auction. Please Add this map to my WishList and we will notify you when another example or similar map comes available
Never miss another item and Register now.
It's free; and you Save time ordering, Track your package; are able to bid in our auctions, you get free access to AbeMaps Archive with more than 20.000 auction results, and more.
You may also look at our stock list of similar items, which are available for immediate sale.