Subscribe to be notified if similar examples become available.
L'Amerique par P. Du Val Geographe du Roy
Estimated value: $4000 - $6500
This monumental work by Pierre Duval can be described as a single sheet atlas of the Americas comprised eighteen important maps showing new discoveries, myths, and legends that embodies the 17th century wonder on intrigue of the New World during the age of discovery.
There are eight devoted to North America; four of which are based on Sanson's maps of 1656 - Le Canada, La Nle. Espagne, Le N. Mexique, and La Floride. According to Burden in his book The Mapping of North America, this map by Duval may have preceded the map Audience de Guadalajara by Nicolas Sanson, which would make this map the first cartographic work focused on New Mexico to show California as an Island. This sheet also includes maps of North America that are noteworthy for their depictions of the Great Lakes, the Hudson River, Delaware Rivers, and Hudson's Bay. the four small maps in the bottom row, La Virginie, La Nle. Holande, La Nle. Suede, and Le Nouveau Danemarq are also noteworthy as there were very few maps from this time period devoted to these regions.
The remaining maps focus on South America and support some of our favorite cartographic myths such as the fabled Golden City of El Dorado along lake Parime in Guiana and the supposed giants the inhabited the interior of Patagonia. Also noteworthy is Duval's apprehension to show Tierra Del Fuego as its own island and not a northern portion of the supposed great southern continent found in maps name Terra Australis, Magellanica, or the generic description Terra Incognita, which simply means "unknown land."
FAQ - Guarantee - Shipping
To buy or bid in this Buy-or-Bid sale you must register with us. It is free, and we automatically update you about future auctions.
During the Buy-or-Bid sale you can buy or bid on 1500 - 2000 antique, rare maps, town views, old master prints, decorative prints, atlases, posters and Medieval manuscripts.
- Items will be listed for 7 days. In the first day of the sale, users are only able to add items to their "My Buy or Bid" page".
- Starting at 4.00 PM EST (Amsterdam 22.00) the following day up to the closing you may purchase an item at the Buy price.
- Once the Buy price is paid the sale for this item has closed.
- We show the "Bid & Ask spread" (to define the gap between the minimum accepted bid and Buy price.)
- Items that have received bids within the BidAsk spread are sold at the highest bid at closing.
- For bids entered within the BidAsk spread, we use the proxy-bidding process, so you are getting the item at the lowest possible price.
- You may also bid lower than the BidAsk spread, but the seller is not obliged to accept such a bid.
- A buyer outside the European Union pays, on top of the sale price, a premium of 18 % on the first € 30,000 (or $35,700 ) and 10% on the excess.
- Outbid notifications and zoomable images will be disabled 30 minutes before the closing.
- Items are found in the catalog. The item is automatically added to the My Buy-or-Bid Watch List once you pay the Buy price or place a offer.
- An invoice is available in My Invoice center two hours after the closing and is send the next day by email.
Please have a look at more details about the Buy-or-Bid sale.
We provide professional descriptions, condition report and HiBCoR rating (based on 45 years experience in the map business)
We fully guarantee the authenticity of items we sell. We provide a certificate of authenticity for each purchased item.
A flat shipping fee of € $ 30 is added to each shipment within Europe and North America. This covers : International Priority shipping, Packing and Insurance (up to the invoice amount).
Shipments to Asia are $ 40 and rest of the world $50
We charge only one shipping fee when you have been successful on multiple items or when you want to combine gallery and auction purchases.
Read More about invoicing and shipping
|High-Resolution Digital Image Download|
Paulus Swaen maintains an archive of most of our high-resolution rare maps, prints, posters and medieval manuscript scans.
We make them freely available for download and study.
Read more about free image download
Paulus Swaen Inc reasonably believes that the Item is not restricted by copyright or related rights, but a conclusive determination could not be made.
You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use.
Paulus Swaen claims no copyright or license governing this digital resource. It is provided for free, on a non-commercial, open-access basis, for fair-use academic and research purposes only.
Paulus Swaen maintains an archive of sold items, including HR images. Go to the archive
In accordance with the EU Consumer Rights Directive and habitually reside in the European Union you have the right to cancel the contract for the purchase of a lot, without giving any reason.
The cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days from the day after the date on which you or a third party (other than the carrier and indicated by you) acquires, physical possession of the lot. To exercise the right to cancel you must inform Paulus Swaen Europe bv, which is offering to sell the lot either as an agent for the seller or as the owner of the lot, of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, or e-mail (email@example.com).
To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.