Add to my gallery
Like this item?
Thinking about buying later on?
Or just create a virtual collection !
With Wishlist you can collect all
Your Favorite maps in one place
by simply pressing a button!
[ Read More ]
JANSSONIUS,J. - Lot of 5] World and Continents.
Click here to inquire about this item.
Lot of 5] World and Continents. - JANSSONIUS,J.
Click image to in.
Title : Lot of 5] World and Continents..
Map maker : JANSSONIUS,J..
Date : Amsterdam, 1631.
Size : 5.7 x 7.9 inches. / 14.5 x 20.0 cm.
Colouring : Coloured.
Description :A fine, matched set of world and continent maps. Jan Jansson engaged Abraham Goos, one of the most accomplished engravers of the day, to create these plates for his continuation of the Mercator pocket atlas. This beautiful set is illustrative of the fluctuating cartographic theories prevalent during this period of discovery. All with German text on the verso.
1) Typus Orbis Terrarum is a splendid double hemisphere world map. Though similar in style to its predecessor by Hondius, it now has California as an island with Terra Australis reduced to a faint, though still massive, shaded coastline. The map is embedded in a strapwork surround that is inset with a compass rose, a planisphere and the four elements.
2) Americae Descriptio shows the peninsular California and includes a curious delineation of the northwest coast of North America, which is separated from Asia by a narrow Fretum Anian with its coastline bisected by an unnamed strait leading to the Northwest Passage. The St. Lawrence River is shown flowing from a small lake in the West, and the Great Lakes are no where to be seen. There is an area of shading in Virginia alluding to the possibility of a Verrazzano type inland sea.
3) Asia, though engraved by Goos, strongly resembles Pieter van den Keere's configuration with Japan on the Teixeira model and the island of Korea, here called Cory. Van den Keere engraved many of the other maps in Jansson's Atlas Minor.
4) Africa Descriptio depicts typical 17th century cartography with the twin lake sources of the Nile, and the Lunae Montes, or Mountains of the Moon, just south of the lakes.
5) Europe Nova Tabula shows the discoveries of Willem Barents in his quest to find a Northeast Passage to Asia.
Shirley nr.325. America, Burden nr.221. Africa, Betz nr.64. Asia, Yeo nr.21.
Condition : In good condition, there are some small stains mainly in the margins.
The item is no longer available for sale.
Click here to see for how much the item sold or the estimated value.
Missed this item? Never miss another item again!
See a list of similar items you might be interested in :
Wish List / Virtual map collection
Found a nice map? But this map has been sold or thinking about buying later on?
With Wishlist you can collect all Your Favorite maps in one place by simply pressing a button!
Click here to ADD this item to your Wish List
Note : This does not replace the BidPage during Auction.
By default we contact you when similar category items come available in future auctions!
Similar items available for immediate sale you might be intered in.
Browse our Archive index of 20,000+ antique maps, prints, Medieval manuscripts. The auction results are available for registered users.
Register now if you haven't done before. It is free of charge !
I have a similar map and would like to sell it.
Paulus Swaen Old Maps, Inc, is buying and selling for the last 36 years fine and rare maps. We are buying for stock or are taking quality consignments for our quarterly internet auctions since 18 years and we are the olderst internet based map auction.
Please email or send us a picture of your map and your asking price.
We need to receive an image first and can not make offers from verbal descriptions received by phone.
I would like to be notified if the item I am looking for comes up for auction.
I'm interested in this map: but it has been sold or you want to be notified when a similar map comes up for auction. Please Add this map to my WishList and we will notify you when another example or similar map comes available
Never miss another item and Register now.
It's free; and you Save time ordering, Track your package; are able to bid in our auctions, you get free access to AbeMaps Archive with more than 20.000 auction results, and more.
You may also look at our stock list of similar items, which are available for immediate sale.